Chevy 350 carburetor

Popular Hot Rodding
Item Posts    Sort Order

Chevy 350 carburetor

jmarsden26 jmarsden26
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 02/13
Posted: 02/12/13
08:35 AM

I hope this doesn't offend you hotrod enthusiast, but I am looking for help with my hunting rig.

I have a 1985 Chevy Suburban. I love this truck, it will run through almost anything.  I was working on her the other day and noticed the carb is looking a little rough and could use replacing. I am trying to decide which carb to go with. I would like to improve highway gas mileage and improve low end power. The truck has the 350 small block.

Again, I'm not taking this to the drag strip. I drive it about 100 miles to my land, play around in the mud, run over trees etc. then drive it home.

While you are here. Are there any other suggestions (other than new carb) that would help me towards my goal of a more powerful/efficient beast?

Thanks in advance!  

pepsi1 pepsi1
User | Posts: 81 | Joined: 10/11
Posted: 02/14/13
10:50 PM

Both Holley and Edelbrock make nice replacement carbs. You'll want a 600-650cfm.
Holley makes a carb just for the trucks. Vacuum secondaries, electric choke and they are tunable. Your gas mileage will have to increase...LOL... The linkages are all there also. Go to Jegs.com Don't go any bigger than 650CFM.... It won'r help you at all...

Bob  

pepsi1 pepsi1
Posted: 02/16/13
09:31 PM

Jegs has the Holeey Street Avenger Carbs.

Holley P/N 510-0-83570
  570CFM   $369.99

Holey P/N  510=0=83670
  670CFM   $385.99 I think this is too big...

Bob  

pepsi1 pepsi1
Posted: 02/16/13
09:31 PM

Jegs has the Holeey Street Avenger Carbs.

Holley P/N 510-0-83570
  570CFM   $369.99

Holey P/N  510=0=83670
  670CFM   $385.99 I think this is too big...

Bob  

gtomustang gtomustang
Enthusiast | Posts: 457 | Joined: 06/09
Posted: 02/19/13
06:56 AM

a carb won't really help fuel economy, unless the last carb was out of whack, which is what it sounds like...how about the exhaust? what goes in must come out, you could probably go with a header setup to replace the cast iron log style manifolds your engine came with from the factory. the carb will need a jet change to something richer, since a good flowing exhaust will pull enough exhaust out to lean out the cylinders. a good muffler shop with performance experience can hook you up with all that.  
Just because you can't do it...doesn't mean its impossible

gtomustang gtomustang
Enthusiast | Posts: 457 | Joined: 06/09
Posted: 02/19/13
01:33 PM

something else I should point out, which is your air cleaner...if its stock and you're bouncing about in the dust and mud often, its clogging up quickly. Washable reuseable air filter elements can help you by allowing you to blow them out of goo after every hard run, so they allow the fresh air to get to your carb. sometimes you'll find a cold air induction system to go with it,but they may go downwards to the bumper, which is about where the dirt is getting kicked up, so something that goes to the cowl (where the botton of the windshield meets the back of the hood) would be the better ticket if you find one, plus it keeps the air filter element from sucking up water. you may have seen some snorkels that go right up the windshield pillar to almost roof level. it can help add 10hp if designed correctly.

there may also be PROM chips for something that old, but I'll bet the exhaust and intake setup does the trick for a while...  
Just because you can't do it...doesn't mean its impossible