1993 Mercury Grand Marquis Engine swap

Popular Hot Rodding
Item Posts    Sort Order

1993 Mercury Grand Marquis Engine swap

Flyboy994 Flyboy994
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 01/13
Posted: 01/18/13
02:27 PM

Hey guys, my names Gabe Redmond. I'm an owner of a 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS. It runs fine and all but I'm 18 years old and all of my friends have really tuned up Import cars. You know, cold air, turbos, exhaust system, the whole nine yards. I want to show them what my American V8's got. I'm going away to basic training/AIT For the national guard for Desiel Mechanics. When I get back I'm going to have some money to spend cause they are paying me to go to training. When I get back I want to try an engine swap on my Grand Marquis. If I can afford it I'd like to put in the new 5.0L Ford that puts out 412hp and 390lb of torque connected to a new manual transmission and rear end. I know it sounds crazy and expensive but I'm willing to drop about 15k on it and I know a few people from college who can help me out with the labor. I guess my main questions are:
-what is involved in a Ford Mod Motor swap
-what is involved in converting an Automatic to a manual?
-what kind of transmissions bolt up to the new 5.0L's?  

gtomustang gtomustang
Enthusiast | Posts: 457 | Joined: 06/09
Posted: 01/28/13
09:01 PM

On your homepage/profile, you'll find links to mustang and ford magazines...they should probably give you all the details. i think you'll need a different fuel system from 1993's to what the new 5.0 will require, but those websites should point you in the right direction. then again, you're going for diesel mechanics...not that a powerstroke is emissions legal in a car, ***

consider a P71 cop car suspension upgrade, while you're at all this. limited slip diff will help, and I'm sure some steep gears--this is about 4000lbs you're trying to push around.

swapping auto to stick requires the computer, from dashboard to firewall. there's no longer a torque converter to talk to the engine. there will be a different length of driveshaft, it'll need to be balanced. also an aftermarket clutch pedal setup since there is no factory alternative.  
Just because you can't do it...doesn't mean its impossible

pepsi1 pepsi1
User | Posts: 81 | Joined: 10/11
Posted: 02/05/13
10:44 AM

Gabe welcome to our hobby and to PHR..

You have a nice foundation. A real sleeper.
Thats really a nice swap. Go to this web-site for books on your intended swap.
www.cartechbooks.com  This way while your away serving our country you can decide which way you want to go. Don't let those rice burners get ahead.

Bob