jeep sbc 400 turbo project, need help

Popular Hot Rodding
Item Posts    Sort Order

jeep sbc 400 turbo project, need help

clay21 clay21
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 04/13
Posted: 04/05/13
06:20 PM

hey im doing a jeep cj5 sand jeep, and im wanting to put a turbo on my sbc 400. its mildly built,( eldebrock intake, bigger heads, bigger cam, headers, with a turbo 350 tranny and a 3500 torque converter,) its also a 2 bolt main.
im wanting to turbo it beacuse my brother is building a 383 stroker, and my dad is doing a twin turbo 351. but i dont really anything about turbos. so if you have segestions and what i would need to do to make it work, please tell me.  

Bobs427 Bobs427
New User | Posts: 7 | Joined: 02/13
Posted: 04/12/13
05:04 AM

clay21 welome aboard:

You may want to try the CHP forum, this is a slow moving forum. I only check it maybe 2 times a week. With all that said. Here's a couple sites to look at.

Gail Banks Turbo Chargers:
www.bankspower.com/products/show/267/85
           OR
Turbo Kits for Small Block Chevy:
www.adrivingneed.Com/Turbo_Kits_Small_Block_Chevy

Good Luck and keep the bottom end supplied with good pieces. A 2 bolt block Gen (1) with the numbers .010 1% more tin and .020 2% more nickel in the block.

1.A 2 bolt block I like to see with ARP Studs, and then a line bore. Use ARP's torque specs.

2.Use a Forged Piston

3.Use a ARP Head Bolt and use ARP's Torque Specs.....

4.Use a 600HP Connecting Rod

5.Keep the compression to around 8:1:1 The gas is Junk and won't get any better. Unless you can purchase Sunoco, VP, or Cam 2 by the Drum.....

All the above is the way I like to build a Turbo Charged Small Block Engine...You can build your engine anyway you want....

Bob  

dond1965 dond1965
New User | Posts: 48 | Joined: 12/13
Posted: 12/10/13
07:36 PM

a main stud girdle really helps a 2-bolt block alot. the turbo sizing will depend on the head, throttle, manifold flow, fuel, cam, max boost, and max rpm. but a t-61 or t-72 garret unit will get ya some power, with the right combo of parts.