Seeing things with an open mind

Popular Hot Rodding
Item Posts    Sort Order

Seeing things with an open mind

yellowbricktoad yellowbricktoad
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 11/12
Posted: 11/25/12
04:32 PM

Just read Hunkins bangin gears column. It resonates with me a lot because I'm sick to death of the attitudes that many "hot rodders" have reguarding anything that's not V8 or American made. My hot rod of choice is a Volvo wagon..a 72 1800 ES to be sure but a hotrod none the less & a 4cyl engine besides. It's got a hotter cam & ported head, is Megasquirted, lowered with Konis, etc. I think a little more respect is due to any form of hotrodding, no matter where the car was built originally or how many cyls are involved. My personal choice is autocross & road course stuff & I feel that drag racing is the automotive equivalent of the one minute man, but I RESPECT the dragracers ability to do what they do. I try really hard to keep my prejudice in check but it's difficult to do so in the face of some people's rampant religious like devotion to their particular brand. [I love cobra coupes & GT40s & hate corvettes]  Think a little before you label someone a "Ricer" or "Furrin' car" nut or European snob. They may be more like you than you think!
Reguarding the the focus group results I must say that there is a reason for the judgements. The Asians have been making efficient, reliable, bulletproof cars for a long time now, although it seems that lately they've become prey to the same disease that almost killed Detroit,ie "the bean counters. The public is fickle in their automotive choices & not all that bright it seems when it comes to our world. They also have long memories of past failures & notoriously closed minds.
With that in mind I was overjoyed to see the LSfest article & find a 240 SX with a caption extolling the virtues of a lighter better handling platform. Thanks PHR for trying to open some eyes & minds

Mike M.  

pepsi1 pepsi1
User | Posts: 81 | Joined: 10/11
Posted: 12/04/12
01:46 AM

I agree the Asians have been making cars that last along time.

Detroit car makers GM, Ford, and Chrysler could do the same. Then why don't they? If you think the economy is bad in the United Staes now, if Detroit produced a car that lasted 15 years, and you put 250,000 of trouble free no break down miles on it where would we be? Detroit screwed the US royally. They pay a person $20 an hour to put 5 lug nuts on a wheel, that a robot brings to them. Just think about all the small businesses that make little parts for the Auto industry. All the people that work in these small places. All those people would not have a job. You aren't going to change it, and neither am I. Thats my 2 cents...

Bob