gm block 509

Popular Hot Rodding
Item Posts    Sort Order

gm block 509

69novaracer 69novaracer
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 07/12
Posted: 07/30/12
11:50 PM

does a chevy gm block 509 have inherent lubrication problems ? I have heard spinned bearings are a common problem with this motor .  

astroracer astroracer
User | Posts: 57 | Joined: 08/11
Posted: 08/02/12
03:57 PM

Where have you heard this? A 509 is a 30 over 502. I am building a marine block 509 for my van project and I have heard none of these rumors. Neither has my engine builder. If the build is done right, and details are paid attention too, there should be no low end oiling issues. If there are issues I would like to know if it was "inherent" or "builder" induced. Could even be "driver" induced if he gets a little to heavy footed  and spins the motor past it's safe RPM range.  
"Just because I did it... Doesn't mean it's possible."

gtomustang gtomustang
Enthusiast | Posts: 457 | Joined: 06/09
Posted: 08/04/12
07:06 AM

Hey, are those blocks just the old raised deck 427's used for trucks in the 70's (with four ring pistons) and the modern tricks added to the rat in the 1980's? If its a copy of the old block, then its not a design problem, but a builder left something undone or out...

there used to be a rumor you could tell a raised deck b/c you could put a finger in between the water pump and cylinder head...but I can't see it.  
Just because you can't do it...doesn't mean its impossible

pepsi1 pepsi1
User | Posts: 81 | Joined: 10/11
Posted: 08/04/12
10:26 PM

I have never had an oiling problem with any of those blocks.

Anytime there's a spun bearing right away its the block's fault,and a spun bearing is a result of it. There couldn't be anything further from the truth.

We have found the old school way of thinking that 10PSI of oil pressure for each 1,000RPM to be an acceptable way to calculate oil pressure. There is NO need to use a HP/HV oil pump, if you have the proper oil clearances, and NO INTERNAL OIL LEAKS....