Popular Hot Rodding
1 |  2 |  Next   | Last 
Item Posts    Sort Order

New To SBC building

CutlassBoi2585 CutlassBoi2585
New User | Posts: 6 | Joined: 09/11
Posted: 09/24/11
05:06 PM

Hey whats up PHRF. I'm just starting to get into sbc's I bought a 86 Olds Cutlass Salon summer of '10. It was my daily drive until one day it stopped working. I have found out why it stopped. Last week i purchased a 350 sbc motor and th350 tranny to go with the motor. The tranny was already rebuilt, so no work needs to be done there. I'm trying to get about 400hp from this motor, so i'm purcahsing a .060 over rebuild kit. My question is will the stock heads work with this setup and how big of a cam do I need to acheive this goal? Like I said I'm new to this so any advice would be very helpful. Also will i need to get a posi rear for this or will the stock cutlass rear be able to handle that motor.  

gtomustang gtomustang
Enthusiast | Posts: 457 | Joined: 06/09
Posted: 09/25/11
12:22 PM

The simplest solution, is to get a complete head/cam/intake setup, say from Edelbrock.  That max overbore will increase compression ratio slightly, maybe from the 9.8:1 I think they expect to say 10:1, so you may want to go with the larger chamber head if you want to run low octane gas all day long without retarding the spark timing to do so.  Of course, aluminum heads help deny detonation, but as the rings wear in--and thinner cylinder walls may flutter at high RPM, which could hurt ring seal just enough--and more crankcase oil gets into the chamber, let's say 25,000 miles from now...you may or may not find you need more octane or less 'timing.

your stock rear is probably the 8.2 inch, not 8.5 inch, but an automatic trans can lighten the shock to it on hard launches.  of course, if the tires aren't very sticky and break loose often, that can also reduce the stress on the lightweight 8.2  A limited slip differental will help put the power down, and you may want to swap to a higher gear ratio while you are there, but just swapping out to a used axle may not do the trick, b/c limited slips last about 30,000 miles before they wear out their clutches.  
Just because you can't do it...doesn't mean its impossible

05:54 PM

Thanks man i really appreciate the advice. I haven't made a final decision on the size of bore so that. 060 rebuild kit isn't payed for yet. What would be a better bore size in your opinion.  

05:59 PM

Thanks man i really appreciate the advice. I haven't made a final decision on the size of bore so that. 060 rebuild kit isn't payed for yet. What would be a better bore size in your opinion.  

gtomustang gtomustang
Posted: 09/26/11
04:53 AM

.06 isn't bad, but you won't be able to overbore on a future rebuild.  If the cylinder walls are scored deep, then you'll have to go that far, a good machine shop will determine what you need.  For certain, use a torque plate to replicate the distortion done when the heads are bolted on, and that means deck the block first.  

Posted: 09/29/11
06:56 PM

Thanks man I really appreciate all the info you have given me.  

gtomustang gtomustang
Posted: 09/30/11
12:00 PM

Wellll, to be honest, I'd like to see ya build up an Olds 350 for the Olds...but I don't know if you could "legally" pass it off as a 307 at emissions-time. I think the 307 was the engine for the Hurst Olds of that year (check out the lightning rod shifter availible), and an Olds is a slightly more complicated engine, but you could bore the 350 out to the big block's 425cid size piston, and the 350 will take big block heads but you need a special intake, and you end up with an engine that needs a bit of revvin' with its 3.38 inch stroke crankshaft...but a chevy in an olds will do fine for a first time effort  Grin  

Posted: 09/30/11
02:19 PM

It was so hard to find a motor that I had the money to pay for. I happened to go on Craigslist about a month ago and a guy was selling his old 350 SB with a tranny for 400 bucks. i could afford that. i just picked the motor and the tranny up today. i start to take it apart already so i can hurry up and get it to the machine shop. one of the casting numbers that I found was 14010207. That is the number that I found on the block itself. What would be a good bore size to go with on this block. Once again I'm trying for 400 HP even on this motor. How can I acheive this number without breaking the bank. Im reallly only looking to spend no more than about 1500 bucks thats including machine work as well. Im willing to go up to 2000, but that's my finale price. any good advice  

analogkid455 analogkid455
New User | Posts: 4 | Joined: 10/11
Posted: 10/03/11
07:22 AM

The 350 Olds or even a 403 SBO would pass emissions and it doesn't need to rev. Olds engines are torque monsters because of the long intake runners. What a shame. Another Olds with ch3vy power.  

07:24 AM

The 350 Olds or even a 403 SBO would pass emissions and it doesn't need to rev. Olds engines are torque monsters because of the long intake runners. What a shame. Another Olds with ch3vy power.

It would have been easier to put an Olds back in it and you could have used the computer to run the 350 or 403. It has been done. I have even seen a 455 on the computer.  

07:25 AM

It would have been easier to put an Olds back in it and you could have used the computer to run the 350 or 403. It has been done. I have even seen a 455 on the computer.  

07:26 AM

gtomustang gtomustang
09:34 AM

Hey, we all gotta do with what we have, right?  As for an economical engine, invest in the short block first, then cap with a set of heads not dripping oil from worn valve guides.  

the reason is, you can always save up and get better heads later when they come about. and if you find a smoking deal on a set of heads that require higher RPMs, you won't have to rebuild the engine to handle that, b/c you already invested in the bottom end. Or if the chambers are different in size from what you have, then you may need to look into piston swapping, and if you've already built the bottom end, then you know you won't run into further problems you didn't know were in a used engine that keeps the rebuild going on longer.

an engine and tranny for $400 is a good deal.  going .03 over is fine, and there's probably an even bigger piston selection for Chevy small block 350 4.03" bore than 4" or 4.06", which means you may be able to get a price break (I haven't checked piston prices lately).  Take a look at Edelbrock and other head/cam/piston combos, you may be able to beat the price but it also may not last as long, and its never cheap if you have to do it twice.

ScrogginDickey has a nice Vortec head setup, you could call them for ideas on a cam profile (maybe Gm's HOT cam).  

gtomustang gtomustang
Posted: 10/08/11
08:57 AM

Another thing I spaced on...what was the original engine in this car? If it was a V6, its possible it may have smaller brakes, fuel lines, radiator (you should consider boiling out or replacing radiators, b/c rust and scale get in 'em and then you bolt a brand new clean engine to 'em...you get the idea), and a weaker rear axle since the factory saves money by not putting V8 parts into a V6 car. just another consideration, huh? Grin  

Posted: 10/10/11
06:39 PM

Hey sorry been working alot of hours. I have the original 307 sbo motor in this car. I think once i put this new motor in my cutlass I'm thinking of having the original motor reworked. I have been doing alot of shopping around. I think your advice on doing the bottom end first would be my best course of action. I can do the bottom end now then next year i can do the top end. Now aas far as exhaust goes what do you think the best system for this setup would. Straight pipe or headers in the mix. Remember I'm trying to get the best performance for my dollar.

New to this SBC Thang  

1 |  2 |  Next   | Last