1967 Buick Riviera

Popular Hot Rodding
Item Posts    Sort Order

1967 Buick Riviera

HDS1969 HDS1969
New User | Posts: 4 | Joined: 10/11
Posted: 10/03/11
02:27 AM

hi to all of you from saudi arabia. i am trying to get back into my old hobby after a 25 year break... my last project was a '64 ford fairlane when i was a college student back in austin, texas in 1986...
i am now living and working in saudi arabia. choice of project cars are very limited here. someone recently offered me a 1967 Buick Riviera. I like what it looks like on paper, but have not seen it yet.
Does anyone have any experience with this car? Any suggestions/comments/advice, pros/cons? Any problems with parts availability? Getting parts exported from the U.S. is not an issue...
Thanks in advance for any replies. Let me know if I am in the wrong forum :-)  
hds1969

BuzzLOL BuzzLOL
New User | Posts: 28 | Joined: 11/11
Posted: 11/25/11
08:58 AM

.. '67 Riviera should be reliable and easy to live with conventional technology... As I recall, the inefficient Buick nailhead V8 design and TripleTurbine DynaFlow slip-o-matic transmissions were both gone by then, replaced by a more conventional GM/Buick V8 design with a Buick SuperTurbine TH400 3-speed automatic tranny... The TH400 tranny may have a 'SwitchPitch' torque converter...

.. What did your Fairlane have to start with and what did you do to it?  

pepsi1 pepsi1
User | Posts: 81 | Joined: 10/11
03:58 PM

Yeah really what happened to the 64 Fairlane?????

I remember the Riviera as very big as most cars were in the 60's and 70's. They got 8 miles to a gallon, on a good day. BUZZ is correct on the SwitchPitch convertor unless the transmission was replaced. I don't what YEAR ONE'S or Classic Car Industries coverage is on the RIV. as it's not a popular car. The sheet metal maybe the problem. The rear and transmission I don't see as parts problems the engine maybe a different story.

I don't know if I was any help. But good luck..........  

BuzzLOL BuzzLOL
New User | Posts: 28 | Joined: 11/11
08:05 PM

.. Actually, the high compression 1960's Rivs should be able to do 15-18 MPG with a good tuneup and easy driving... now the low compression overweight 1970's Rivs may sink to 8 MPG...

.. Buick V8's are still popular and companies still specialize in supplying replacement and performance parts for them...