hollywood killing our classics

Popular Hot Rodding
Item Posts    Sort Order

hollywood killing our classics

gtomustang gtomustang
Enthusiast | Posts: 457 | Joined: 06/09
Posted: 06/03/11
05:30 AM

Oh, it sounds dramatic...but I'll agree with it.  When editorials were bemoaning the clunker crusher programs, I was pointing out how many cars got killed in movies--sometimes with the professional advice of some of the car mag columnists.

why couldn't they sell Hollywood the idea that a CrownVic on 22"s was a custom car worth destroying on the big screen?  Maybe it was because they saw their rich friends driving some restored Camaro, but funny thing is...Hollywood can convince people something is cool.  T-shirt sales dropped when Gable took his shirt off in the black and white days and wasn't wearing an undershirt.  
Just because you can't do it...doesn't mean its impossible

waynep7122 waynep7122
New User | Posts: 15 | Joined: 07/10
Posted: 06/04/11
08:59 AM

are you sure...

i would think that it spurs interest in more cars...   makes older cars cool...  

i have changed my mind about the movie the fast and the furious...  as it took the generation who was impressed with that movie ... in a import direction... leaving more iron for us older guys..

it sure changed the mind about 59 cads.. once .. when you could only get less than the scrap price for them..  now they are the top of the domestic classics..  ( not domestic muscle cars..)    how many general lee chargers have you seen... i saw a 6 one day... oh .. i was on the warner brothers back lot making a delivery... at that point daisy duke walked in with her dogs. in full costume... what there was of it.. a memory still burned into the back of my brain...  sorry prints are not available..  use your imagination...

and.. hollywood does crash crown vics all the time... used police units are filling their parking lots and ready for their last dance with a bad guy car..

one more thing...    you might really enjoy a 2 hour show on a similar subject...    if you can put your communicator down.. oops.. cell phone...

there are places on the web to watch it..  or on the history channel sometimes.

How William Shatner Changed the World.

google it..  

gtomustang gtomustang
Enthusiast | Posts: 457 | Joined: 06/09
Posted: 06/06/11
05:11 AM

you bring up good points, but I remember the 80's...prices on musclecars rose w/out the movies helping, I believe. yuppies had money, they wanted the cars. it led to some dogs getting restored that would have been parts cars, and may have spurred the repop industry for parts, too, rather than NOS search missions.

i don't think they needed the movies to make muscle famous, and the F&F series has crushed their bag limit of muscle (yenko camaro, GNX, etc). just watched deathproof last night, and thought they just killed a nova in that movie. nope..another charger, and a white challenger to boot. *sigh*

you're right, they do kill the cop cars in hollywood, remember the 1977 4 door  (fury?)mopars? last of the 440 powered cars, TV and Hollywood loved smashing those cars...

catherine bach? met her in person...skinny and peppered with freckles. but the camera adds the pounds on to make 'em look healthy. i don't like 'em bony, i like curves like a 68-72 stingray, so you can keep her..tho she still looked good at the last duke boy reunion, saw the pics in the mopar mags Smile good for her.  
Just because you can't do it...doesn't mean its impossible

3836bbl 3836bbl
Enthusiast | Posts: 407 | Joined: 11/10
Posted: 06/06/11
02:40 PM

I love anything automotive wise on the TV & Movies, I watch it all, so I guess I'm fueling the destruction of some of my favorite old cars, but ever time I turn around someone is destroying another 68-70 Charger in some movie or TV show. As you guys know I'm a Mopar guy 1st, so it bugs me the most when it's a 60's-early 70's era Mopar is destroyed, but even when they are destroying GM & Ford cars too it bugs me, I still watch but it bugs me... Like the remake of Vanishing Point they destroyed another 70 R/T Challenger & 68 R/T Charger among all of the other cars like the Camaro cop car & a bunch of others, Chargers were the most famous it seems Dirty Larry Crazy Mary, Dukes of Hazard series was the worst & the new Movie of late, Fast & the Furious, Death Cars I think it was called with Kurt Russel, a Challenger & Charger again, original Vanishing Point & the remake, The new Nicolos Cage Movie I don't recall the name off hand, original Gone in 60 Seconds & the remake, they wrecked all makes. Why not destroy something they made millions of instead of my beloved Mopars or the other rare muscle cars... JMO... At least now they have replica bodies they can destroy instead of the originals. Also I would take Daisey Duke now or then Barbra or Jessica, any day...LOL... Yeh, Like I would have any chance.   3836bbl/Budnicks  
"Fill Your Library Before Your Fill Your Garage"  3836bbl alias Budnicks

waynep7122 waynep7122
New User | Posts: 15 | Joined: 07/10
Posted: 06/10/11
11:28 PM

wait.. i just remembered how to share what's burned into the back of my brain...

i hope this does not get me kicked  off the forums...

Daisy Duke Dukes Of Hazzard 7  

3836bbl 3836bbl
Enthusiast | Posts: 407 | Joined: 11/10
Posted: 06/12/11
11:49 AM

Wayne you should get a medal for posting that!! she is a great memory from the past. I saved it to my pitchers right away.  Cheesy show but it had it's attributes as seen above & the cars of coarse.   3836bbl/Budnicks  
"Fill Your Library Before Your Fill Your Garage"  3836bbl alias Budnicks

clotheschina clotheschina
New User | Posts: 5 | Joined: 07/12
Posted: 07/01/12
08:41 AM

it sure changed the mind about 59 cads.. once .. when you could only get less than the scrap price for them..  now they are the top of the domestic classics..  ( not domestic muscle cars..)    how many general lee chargers have you seen... i saw a 6 one day... oh .. i was on the warner brothers back lot making a delivery... at that point daisy duke walked in with her dogs. in full costume... what there was of it.. a memory still burned into the back of my brain...  sorry prints are not available..  use your imagination  

clotheschina clotheschina
New User | Posts: 5 | Joined: 07/12
Posted: 07/01/12
08:43 AM

urbanclothesstore com urban clothing cheap  

Loguzzomotorsport1 Loguzzomotorsport1
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 11/12
Posted: 11/02/12
07:51 PM

Is Hollywood killing classics Realy
Hollywood makes cars classics they recycle these cars until they fall apart
Do you know why they picked chargers for dukes because they were cheap and nobody wanted them
Yenko Camaros am I missing something I did not know they made 6 cyl autos
When we did dukes we killed 10 to 1 cop cars Plymouth satellites 4 doors real popular with the muscle car crowd
You name a car and they have made a movie with that car in it
All I can say is you can't have car movies without CARS  

pepsi1 pepsi1
User | Posts: 81 | Joined: 10/11
Posted: 11/04/12
04:01 PM

We can list a thousand movies they killed our classics. It goes back to the Laurel and Hardy movies. Those cars may still be here today.

The Cadillacs they destroyed watch the Movie Called Tin Men. Danny Devito, Richard Dreyfus. Blues brothers how many cruiser's did the destroy. I know the cars aren't classics but the parts may fit other classics. The movie Convoy.
Thats my 2 cents and I'm sick of what Hollywood does.

Bob  

pepsi1 pepsi1
User | Posts: 81 | Joined: 10/11
Posted: 11/04/12
04:54 PM

+1 3836BBL.

I agree Wayne should get a medal.
  The Ford forum's have nice pics on their covers. Just like back in the day. How many older Gear Heads remember their Dad taking them to get a haircut and there was a pin-up calendar. Or how about going to the repair shop with your Dad of course and there was a pin-up usually calendars. Grin  Cool  

I wish I had those calendars I hear there collectors items.
Ahhh! the good ole days I'm glad I was there.For most of it...

Bob