PHR's New

Popular Hot Rodding
Item Posts    Sort Order

PHR's New

ChristopherCampbell ChristopherCampbell
Moderator | Posts: 66 | Joined: 02/10
Posted: 02/18/11
11:36 AM

Have you gotten your hands on the April issue yet with the Cherry Bomb Camaro on the cover? Do you like that matte finish cover and the oh-so-shiney upgraded paper that makes the killer photogrpahy PHR is known for jump off the page? That's all part of the newly redesigned and upgraded PHR!

We're continually investing time and money into making sure PHR is the magazine hot rodders gotta have thanks to great content and car features that worthy of cutting out and hanging on your wall! And that's just the beginning folks- there's much more to come!

So tell us, how we doing so far?  
Christopher Campbell
Technical Editor
Popular Hot Rodding Magazine

nopaewsuoirav nopaewsuoirav
New User | Posts: 13 | Joined: 05/10
Posted: 02/23/11
07:02 PM

Most of your online traffic probably got the subscriber version, which has the Starliner on the cover.  You should keep the Camaros on the newsstand since Camaro Craft is going back to slapping Camaros on every cover.

The less goofy effects you use, the better the articles look.  The flames and the cruddy project car renderings won't be missed.  You should take it one step further and dump the silly car names.

The new white space on the feature pages looks dumb, kill it and deny it ever happened.  On the flip side Hometown Hot Rodding and Builders Corner look great.

You should swap Builders Corner out for "Junk We Found On Craigslist"--it would make for a much better read than those stupid restoration companies with kiddie cool names.  Be sure to throw stuff at Hunkins every time he pushes Laguna posts on you--last I checked they made other cars in the mid 70's too.  

65convertSSl79 65convertSSl79
New User | Posts: 4 | Joined: 02/11
Posted: 02/25/11
07:34 PM

not a big fan of a 8-71 blower cutting a gapping hole in a beautiful hood, but thats me if it runs like a scalded dog *** walnuts I am a fan!  

3836bbl 3836bbl
Enthusiast | Posts: 407 | Joined: 11/10
Posted: 03/01/11
04:39 PM

As long as it's not a stock restoration it's good with me, after all it's "Popular Hot Rodding" right, keep em coming, maybee something other tahn the obligitory Camaro's & Mustang's maybee, other than that your all right with me. Just my $0.02 cents.   3836bbl/Budnicks  
"Fill Your Library Before Your Fill Your Garage"  3836bbl alias Budnicks

torinoluvr torinoluvr
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 04/11
Posted: 04/15/11
10:11 PM

My midlife Crisis, seems to be a bit different then most stories I read here. Mine is that I can't afford the Sports Car of my dreams. I was more able to afford it 25 years ago, then I am today. And being 52 I now seem to be running out of time to own my dream car. I have never owned a brand new car of any kind. Now being partially disabled and not sure when I can go back to work my automotive dreams seem to be running on empty.  I do own a pair of 1956 Chevy's, that have been in need of rebuild since the late 1970's when I purchased them from a junkyard. Also I own a 1973 Ford Gran Torino Sport, that was my first car purchased in 1978. But it to has fallen in disrepair and has been sitting since the late 1990's. So my teenage dream of these cars being rebuilt/modified and walking out to my driveway one day and saying, "Hmm what will I drive today??" Seems to be falling by the wayside. So you guys that can afford your Corvette, Ferrari or whatever you want, Enjoy! Don't worry about what other people say. They might just be jealous!
William Bruce, Glen Aubrey, New York 13862  
 I had a 1976 Black and Gold Cobra II. It had a 1969 302, beefed up with an Offenhouser aluminum 4 barrel intake, Holly 600 vac sec carb, and a Crane cam.
I own a 1973 Ford Gran Torino Sport, 302/auto, yellow with gold reflector stripe.

Owned a 1967 Camaro RS 327/auto, gold with black roof.
Own 2 1956 Chevys 2 door Bel Air Sport Coupe, and Sedan Delivery.

3836bbl 3836bbl
Posted: 04/21/11
01:31 PM

torinoluvr 1st off welcome to the PHR forum. I can relate to having it when I was younger especialy pre 1998, I had the world by the tail, now I'm 51 can't seem to get work hardly ever, not for lack of effort. I am 1 of the fortunate 1's that have owned a bunch of muscle cars, pick ups & trucks/trailers 100+ to date 61 were MOPARS, 26 were race cars (alot of GM stuff they were alot cheaper to build). Lots of Roadrunners & Chargers. I would mostly buy, fixed/repaint & sold to finance my racing habbits in the past, I would build race cars for friends 14 ground up, to pay for parts to build my race cars so I could afford to race, even when I had sponcers, it cost more than I could get in sponcership funding. Heck if there's a will there's a way. I still build cars it's just taking alot longer than I would like, but I don't let it stop my passion for the hobby, I too have a partial disability & take care of an elderly father, with little to no income, so things aren't like they use to be pre 1998, but I still have the love of my cars to keep me going. Currently I'm building a Resto-Rod/Pro-Touring 68 Roadrunner HT that is going on 6 years to build, what I use to do in 6 months. Everyone needs to build what ever rocks thier boat or blows thier skirt up, LOL.... Sorry to hear you have a disability that keeps you from achieving your goals with your cars from your past, it would tear me up not being able to do at least something, there is a ton of stuff that can be done with sweat & labor before the money needs to be spent. Lately when I even look at my car it seems to cost me $100. Get well soon, don't let middle age get you down. "Jealous NOT, Envious MAYBEE"...Ha Ha Ha...    Budnicks  

torinoluvr torinoluvr
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 04/11
Posted: 04/30/11
09:57 PM

Thanks Budnicks, I will try.  
 I had a 1976 Black and Gold Cobra II. It had a 1969 302, beefed up with an Offenhouser aluminum 4 barrel intake, Holly 600 vac sec carb, and a Crane cam.
I own a 1973 Ford Gran Torino Sport, 302/auto, yellow with gold reflector stripe.

Owned a 1967 Camaro RS 327/auto, gold with black roof.
Own 2 1956 Chevys 2 door Bel Air Sport Coupe, and Sedan Delivery.

66FB 66FB
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 05/11
Posted: 05/11/11
12:24 PM

What new paper?  The editorial that talked about the new paper was printed on the same old paper as before.  As a matter of fact, that issue was the skinniest PHR I've ever held in my hands.  I think the page count was down around 9 pages from the previous issue.  Do loyal subscribers not get the upgraded PHR?  

3836bbl 3836bbl
Posted: 05/11/11
01:50 PM

Half the time I don't see the same 1 as people are talking about, I get mine at the grocery store, no subscription. I guess there are different printings or at least covers. I Had to do some budgetary cuts...LOL...  3836bbl/Budnicks  

ChristopherCampbell ChristopherCampbell
Moderator | Posts: 66 | Joined: 02/10
Posted: 05/16/11
12:05 PM

66FB; yes, unfortunately the upgraded heavy stock paper is currently newsstand only. Not by our choice, that decision was made much higher up the ladder. As was the current (though temporary) page cut.

Christopher Campbell
Technical Editor
Popular Hot Rodding Magazine

3836bbl 3836bbl
Posted: 05/18/11
11:48 AM

Chris I was wondering what the deal was. I would here of stuff on issues, I wouldn't have seen. That explains it some what.   Budnicks  

Quik66 Quik66
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 05/11
Posted: 05/23/11
01:45 PM

Chris,

Maybe you can pass a message on to the management (IF they will even listen)...

You should be giving the subscribers the "better" magazine: more content, better paper, better covers (if a choice), etc...   Why is it that the loyal subscriber gets screwed?

I don't know anyone that buys a magazine from a newsstand/etc, that buys it for the page material...  "oh, this one is made from thinner, crappy material."...

However, you will eventually loose loyal subscribers by giving them less incentive to remain a subscriber...

Its not that we want anything better, but if there is a difference, we deserve the best choice...

Also, how about a removable, stick on address label?  Hemming's Muscle Car magazine uses these, and I think they are great...  

Quik66 Quik66
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 05/11
Posted: 05/23/11
01:55 PM

I think the magazine is still pretty good...  A few things I don't care for (but you can't please everyone)...

PHR is one of the few I subscribe to, and I will continue to subscribe for the near future (as long as it doesn't change too much).

I like that you place an emphasis on DIY "buildable" tech and projects.  I think the "Builders corner" is a waste of valuable space...  Personally, I don't care what the Pro's are building (until its built).  Highlight a nice pro-build is one thing, but why waste space showing the in-progress work???

IMO, More "home-built" cars.  Less than perfect is fine by me, if it was actually built (and paid for) by an enthusiast...

And please don't insult our intelligence by featuring a "home-built" car, only to let us know the builder works or owns one of the top shops...  

Street-fighter Mustang was good, Max-effort Cougar,TOO "Pro-built"...  I like the Cougar, and the overall ideas, but its unrealistic for the average enthusiast...