Popular Hot Rodding
Item Posts    Sort Order

1979 lincoln towncar question

dutchlincoln79 dutchlincoln79
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 12/10
Posted: 12/04/10
02:06 PM

Hello,
I'm new here, and from the Netherlands, europe. I'm reading quite a while here, and have the subscription to the PHR magazine also. (great, by the way Smile )

Since some years now i own three '79 lincoln towncar's.
In the years, i've renewed several parts at them, keeping them in a good shape.
There is however a small problem, i would like to really upgrade one of them, and am in need of some technical info.
As the car itself is a luxury cruiseship instead of a hotrod, there are almost next to nothing aftermarket parts to be found. I assume however that there are many more cars that are built with the same undercarriage (do i say correct?).
So, maybe many parts of, lets say a torino, may fit?
Are there people that have expirience or knowledge of what might just fit?
I'm thinking for instance about: Urethane bushings, a rack steering, Tubular arms lower and upper,just to make tha car handle a whole lot "better".
Now, i have a fresh rebuilt engine here that has to go in this winter, in combination with a E4OD transmission including a baumannator unit, so i really need the improved handling, and better grip.
I already installed a rebuilt rearaxle with a track-lok, but i'm not all happy with it, as it's not "smooth". There is also some play when i turn the wheels when the car is up, and i wonder if it's okay..

Any tips, advice about interchangability?
Would be highly appreciated, thank you.  

waynep7122 waynep7122
New User | Posts: 15 | Joined: 07/10
Posted: 12/04/10
10:13 PM

wow.... i have not worked on one of those in years...

those used a FULL size ford suspension...      you might spend a while and build up a short list of suspension parts... you can then contact various after market suppliers of suspension products for interchange info...

you might also improve things with larger diameter wheels and shorter profile tires that are available now.. but look at SUVs for proper load ratings on the tires...  

as for going to a rack and pinion ... thats a LOT of work...    you might contact steering box rebuilders..  i will PM you one .. that might be able to build you a box with faster ratio and different torque rods to improve your steering experience...

here is an article on gm boxes... somebody might be able to do a similar thing to your ford box..

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/ccrp_0901_gm_steering_box_upgrade/index.html

i have not looked through the various magazines here for a similar article on ford boxes..

track lock rear end....

does the axle spline count match the differential spline count..

i don't know if one could stick 28 spline axles into  a 31 spline diff... that might be what's happening..

with other clutch type diffs...  when noisy ... clicking going around corners...  i normally find a big open paved area...   do 5 or 6 tight low speed circles to the left . then more to the right..   this low speed turning causes slippage between the plates, takes the high or rough spots off as they rub.... but the low speed allows the lube to work its way between them..    this will usually quiet clutch type diffs..  

dutchlincoln79 dutchlincoln79
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 12/10
Posted: 12/05/10
01:30 AM

Yes, i was thinking a lot of these recommendations also.
The plan is (when the engine is in) to take a look at the rim's and tires.
My plan is to go to 17 or 18 inches (not too big) and put a nice set of nitto's around them.

As the rattling noise: the splines are both 28, so thats corrct. The plates need the special additive, and i'm out of it, so i ordered some new bottles. Have the expirience that it helps indeed.
The smooth part i actually meant that you feel the shifting between the 2 wheels when you take a corner, and get "pushed out" the corner when it does. Not literally, but you have to be aware how to handle the car, a person not familiar with this behavior, might be surprised by it. Don't want that. Maybe it gets better with more horses, additive, and more grip on the wheels. We'll see.
About the suspention, what cars all fall in the fullsize ford category? Anybody know where i can discover the actual sizes of all these bushings?
Thanks!  Cool  

waynep7122 waynep7122
08:28 AM

Duralast/Control Arm Bushing - Front
For your 1979 Lincoln Continental 6.6L 2BL OHV 8cyl
Part Number: FB346
Notes: Upper
Bushing Material: Rubber/metal
O.D. Surface: Metal
Length: 46 mm. approximately.
Outside Diameter: 35.89 mm.
Description: Flanged dual diameter bushing

http://contentinfo.autozone.com/znetcs/product-info/en/US/ksm/FB346/image/4/

most mechanics i know that did the front upper control arm bushings usually installed a shaft kit.. as they have found the nuts welded to the shaft to prevent loosening as i recall..

Duralast/Control Arm Shaft Kit - Upper
Part Number: FA1417
http://contentinfo.autozone.com/znetcs/additional-prod-images/en/US/ksm/FA1417/2/image/4/

Duralast/Control Arm Bushing - Front
Part Number: FB265
Notes: Lower
Bushing Material: Rubber/metal
O.D. Surface: Metal
Length: 86 mm. approximately.
Outside Diameter: 33.5 mm.
Description: Flanged dual diameter bushing

http://contentinfo.autozone.com/znetcs/product-info/en/US/ksm/FB265/image/4/

but.. there is this

Energy-Suspension/Control Arm Bushing - Front
Part Number: 4.3111R
Maintains better alignment while driving. Full floating and non binding. Fits into the remaining stock control arms.
Weight: 1.55 lbs
Notes: RedMust reuse existing outer metal shells; front lower and upper;

or in black

Part Number: 4.3111G
Notes: BlackMust reuse existing outer metal shells; front lower and upper;

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
strut rod bushings

http://contentinfo.autozone.com/znetcs/product-info/en/US/ksm/FA690/image/4/

looks like you can get the strut rod bushings in urethane now..

Energy-Suspension/Strut Rod Bushing Kit
Part Number: 4.7117G
Made from Hyper-Flex polyurethane.
Part Number: 4.7117G
Notes: Black Front set;
or in red
Part Number: 4.7117R
Notes: Red Front set;  

waynep7122 waynep7122
08:45 AM

As the rattling noise: the splines are both 28, so thats corrct. The plates need the special additive, and i'm out of it, so i ordered some new bottles. Have the expirience that it helps indeed.
The smooth part i actually meant that you feel the shifting between the 2 wheels when you take a corner, and get "pushed out" the corner when it does. Not literally, but you have to be aware how to handle the car, a person not familiar with this behavior, might be surprised by it. Don't want that. Maybe it gets better with more horses, additive, and more grip on the wheels.

once you get the limited slip additive in... and some gear lubes are available with it already..

try the parking lot drive in tight circles... it really does quiet the binding clutch packs...

there seem to be 3 different listings for front sway bar bracket bushings..
Duralast/Sway Bar Bracket Bushing
Part Number: FA1243
To frame 28.57mm (1 1/8") diameter bar

Part Number: FA1425
28mm (1 3/32") diameter bar

Part Number: FA1424
With 22mm (7/8") diameter bar. To frame

http://contentinfo.autozone.com/znetcs/product-info/en/US/ksm/FA1425/image/4/