FNG!!!!!

Popular Hot Rodding
Item Posts    Sort Order

FNG!!!!!

FlashGA FlashGA
New User | Posts: 5 | Joined: 02/11
Posted: 02/07/11
04:44 AM

Yep, I'm a FNG here on the forums.  I've been rather slow to get onto forums.  I'm a long time poster on ThirdGen.org and I've recently decided to expand my online presence.  This probably has a lot to do with the recent purchase of a 1975 Pontiac Grand Am with a 455 and TH400.  So after 19 years of Third Gen F-Body cars I've moved on, sort of.  My son is now the proud owner of the 1989 Trans Am GTA, with almost nothing original left on it.  

So, after seeing the articles on Project Talladega I knew I would have to research this more.  Any and all advice on my project car will be taken.  Right now the plans are for a cruise control.  Already in waiting is a TH200-4R, Vigilante Torque Converter, new heads and new cam to be done after the GTA gets a fresh engine in it.  Got some ideas, history, I'll be glad to listen.  
1975 Pontiac Grand Am 455 550 hp TH400 3.73

1989 Pontiac GTA
448 hp 492 tq
11.794 @ 117.2
Top Speed over 180 mph.
RIP - Son totaled it!

gtomustang gtomustang
Enthusiast | Posts: 457 | Joined: 06/09
01:18 PM

1) decide what you want the car to do, and work towards that direction.

2) find out emissions laws on what exhaust you can legally fit on there. work within that limitation.  or have electronic cutout exhausts put on, for "off highway use only".

3)Check out pontiac high performance magazine's website...you can buy a 4.5 inch stroker crank to use with CBB con'rods for that 455 easy, sell the original crank to someone who'll turn it down for their 400cid.  From there, choose the heads and cam for it.  The OD trans will allow you to dig off the line yet not tach out at the top end with only a 5500RPM redline ceiling.  
Just because you can't do it...doesn't mean its impossible

3836bbl 3836bbl
Enthusiast | Posts: 407 | Joined: 11/10
08:36 PM

FlashGTA welcome to the forum. Good luck with your projects.   3836bbl/Budnicks  
"Fill Your Library Before Your Fill Your Garage"  3836bbl alias Budnicks

FlashGA FlashGA
Posted: 02/08/11
10:28 PM

3836bbl, I'm just guessing you're a MOPAR fan, maybe?  So what is it stuffed into?  GTOMustang, either you're confused or you love Mustangs and GTO's, good on ya!  I've had 4 Mustangs, the oldest being a 1972.  I've never had a GTO, but I've left a lot of them in the dust and never dusted by one, go figure since now I'm a Pontiac fan.
As for the Grand Am it's too heavy to spend a lot of time on it making it a stoplight warrior / Drag Car.  So, it will be for out of town travel, but capable of embarrassing any of the new crop of pony cars.  So the 3.73 gears will come out for some 3.23 gears, maybe 3.08.  The numbers matching drivetrain will come out and go into storage and I'll build a new engine for the car.  It will have MPFI from FAST EZ EFI.  Other than that, I haven't done much planning on the new engine.  I'll probably stick with a stock stroke and just bore it for a 462 cid.  I haven't decided how to go on brakes yet, mild upgrade or radical, depends where I decide to go on rims.  It already has 16 X 8 American Racing Salt Flat series so, I'm pretty happy there.  I am curious why PHR used a carb instead of EFI on the Project Talladega?  

1989 Pontiac GTA
448 hp 492 tq
11.794 @ 117.2
Top Speed over 180 mph.
RIP - Son totaled it!

gtomustang gtomustang
Enthusiast | Posts: 457 | Joined: 06/09
Posted: 02/09/11
01:44 PM

Oh, I'm definitely confused, but when I first got here I had a 69 goat, 67 and 86 mustangs...so the name was easy for me to remember. Laugh

the bad news w/ Pontiac is the only engines to use not-cast iron connecting rods was the SuperDuty models, but Chevy big block connecting rods fit...and it ain't like there's no options there.  Plus, the lifter bores...they aren't built into the lifter valley, they sit almost separate on the edge of the walls. Put in a high lift cam, and they'll snap right off. You can get a girdle for it, or tape off the open space over the cam and epoxy in a support for the lifter bores.

as for brakes...go big.  There's a lot of momentum you have to reign in once you've given that car a full head of steam.  Even the editor of this magazine found it out w/ his project.  And as for the carb versus EFI, well....I had a little online argument about why all their project cars go w/ carbs versus $2000 EFI.

Sequential port injection is great for turbos, where the boost can occur anywhere in the RPM range.  a Rochester QuadraJet can be tuned quite well for a naturally aspired engine.  Would a RamAirIII cam with headers and oversized pulleys and electric fan and cold ram-air induction setup do you fine? Like a warmed-up version of a SD455 TransAm, similar in weight?  
Just because you can't do it...doesn't mean its impossible

FlashGA FlashGA
Posted: 02/09/11
06:53 PM

I was aware of the connecting rod issue, but I did not realize the lifter bores were such a problem.  I had read about some girdles but I figured a .500 lift cam would be okay.  I'll reread the sections on cams in the books I've purchased.  
As for brakes, I agree bigger is better, but how big, I'm not sure yet.  I don't plan on racing the car like they did the Project Talladega so I don't need honkin brakes such as those.
As far as carbs, I used to be a carb guy, Holley or Q-Jet.  Don't get me started on crappy Edelbrock carbs.  Loved carbs, could tune them in a day.  Now, I wouldn't do it unless I had too.  EFI is just too nice and easy and the car runs great, great mpg, great power, what's not to love?  

1989 Pontiac GTA
448 hp 492 tq
11.794 @ 117.2
Top Speed over 180 mph.
RIP - Son totaled it!

3836bbl 3836bbl
Enthusiast | Posts: 407 | Joined: 11/10
Posted: 02/11/11
01:11 AM

Icon QuoteFlashGTA:
3836bbl, I'm just guessing you're a MOPAR fan, maybe?  So what is it stuffed into?  GTOMustang, either you're confused or you love Mustangs and GTO's, good on ya!  I've had 4 Mustangs, the oldest being a 1972.  I've never had a GTO, but I've left a lot of them in the dust and never dusted by one, go figure since now I'm a Pontiac fan.
As for the Grand Am it's too heavy to spend a lot of time on it making it a stoplight warrior / Drag Car.  So, it will be for out of town travel, but capable of embarrassing any of the new crop of pony cars.  So the 3.73 gears will come out for some 3.23 gears, maybe 3.08.  The numbers matching drivetrain will come out and go into storage and I'll build a new engine for the car.  It will have MPFI from FAST EZ EFI.  Other than that, I haven't done much planning on the new engine.  I'll probably stick with a stock stroke and just bore it for a 462 cid.  I haven't decided how to go on brakes yet, mild upgrade or radical, depends where I decide to go on rims.  It already has 16 X 8 American Racing Salt Flat series so, I'm pretty happy there.  I am curious why PHR used a carb instead of EFI on the Project Talladega?

You fiqured that out all on your own did ya, what was the give away? LOL. 4796bbl just didn't sound right. I have a little project a 9.70's et 135mph 68 Roadrunner with a 3836bbl/479ci strocker motor w/727 auto 3.91:1 gears & too much to list here right now. I am a muscle/drag car guy period. I have built & raced anything from my dads stock 72 Pinto to a Pro-Mod, mostly Chevy's & GM stuff because of costs, but yes I am a die hard Mopar guy at heart, my first car was a 68 Charger R/T 440.  3836bbl/Budnicks  
"Fill Your Library Before Your Fill Your Garage"  3836bbl alias Budnicks