Oldsmobeast 455 engine build

Popular Hot Rodding
Item Posts    Sort Order

Oldsmobeast 455 engine build

oldsman1 oldsman1
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 05/10
Posted: 05/27/10
10:16 PM

Although you appear to be quite satisfied with the results of your Olds 455 build for the Project 65 Olds Cutlass. Many of us die hard Olds fans from many of the Olds forums are disappointed with some of your part choices and what we consider lackluster results for the amount of cash involved.

First of all, your choice of Mondello Oldsmobile is very disappointing. These people are no longer thought of as a good source of Olds stuff. Ever since Joe Mondello himself left, that place has become a pariah for Olds fans. They are grossly overpriced and have what many consider to be "shady" business practices.
Nobody in their right mind would buy an intake manifold from them for $639. There are many other Olds vendors with good reputations (BTR Olds, Olds Performance Products, Rocket Racing, M & J performance) that would of been a better source.

The engine itself has some parts that just are not needed for a strong street build. Most BBO guys would use the stock rods with some ARP bolts. The money saved by not opting for the eagle rods could of went towards a hydraulic roller cam. A better cam choice would of gotten you to 550 Hp and 600 ftlbs of torque easily with your cylinder head work.

I am currently finishing up a 65 Cutlass of my own. I used a Lunati hydraulic flat tappet last year, and stepped up to a custom ground Lunati hydraulic roller cam (238/244 dur @ .050, .565/.565 lift) over the winter and the difference is astounding! I also installed some better valve springs in my Edelbrock heads because the ones E-brock puts in have a reputation for going soft very quickly. Intake choice is a single plane Offy Port-o-sonic with a QFT 780 cfm carb. My Cutlass is utilizing Air Ride Technologies (now known as RideTech) suspension all the way around and a Moser Ford 9" for a GM "A" body out back.

All in all I have enjoyed watching you put together the Cutlass. I just think the 455 could of been a little stronger and less expensive at the same time. Many of us in the Olds community have written off Mondello. I must admit, I have bought stuff from them in the past...but no more. The other Olds guys I mentioned are making more power for less money and thats a big win/win situation!