What do you think?

Popular Hot Rodding
Item Posts    Sort Order

What do you think?

uhscumark uhscumark
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 08/09
Posted: 08/25/09
10:29 PM

Ok, I want to get some opinions here. I recently bought my 7 yr old his first truck, a 1950 Chevy.  I want to build him something that will be mild in the power department, looks like no other advance design truck, and will carve a corner like an F1 car.

So, here's my plan: Box the stock frame and add cross members, add IFS with C5 Corvette parts, ford 9inch rear with triangulated 4 link, full roll cage w/ race buckets and 5 point harness, and powered by a 4200 GM overhead cam inline six.

Chassis wise, I think with the right components it should handle, my grey area is in the motor. I can't seem to find squat for the 4200 inline six as far as performance goes. I want that deep and mean sound, which require a split header that nobody makes.
Anyone have any suggestions?  

gtomustang gtomustang
Enthusiast | Posts: 457 | Joined: 06/09
Posted: 02/15/10
10:32 AM

check Clifford Performance, Offenhauser intakes, even Egge Machine for parts for that old Stovebolt Six.  Back it up with a modern overdrive trans.

A Corvette IRS would be nice, but as for the front, check into a 1982 to 1993 Camaro/Trans Am front clip.  With WS-6 parts, you can match a Corvette for handling for cheaper, tho that old inline six is heavy.  Any room to push it back towards the firewall for better handling?  Move the battery to under the bed?

as for a solid rear axle, look into HotRodsToHell, they have a 68-72 truck rear arm assembly, the same style NASCAR uses on 1967 chevelle floorpans to make all their "stock" cars out of.  Your truck should have room for this coil spring and separate shock setup, and if its good enough for former moonshine runners...Smile

the nine inch rear is overkill for the six, you'll lose some HP getting the gears to turn.  A 8.2 or 8.5 10 bolt will do nice, maybe a LSD from an Astro Van AWD model, or just get an aftermarket one.  C-clip eliminators would be a great idea, there's a post here on their drawback--and who fixed it.  
Just because you can't do it...doesn't mean its impossible

taman taman
User | Posts: 75 | Joined: 10/06
Posted: 11/20/11
06:18 AM

If you want to run a F body subframe, try the Heidt's setup. http://www.heidts.com/front_subframe.html I replaced mine in my 75 TA. Better handling and ride quality is awesome. For power. I would rebuild with good parts and run a procharger or do a turbo setup.  
You have been just givin' the Bird

dond1965 dond1965
New User | Posts: 48 | Joined: 12/13
Posted: 12/01/13
06:29 PM

Icon Quotegtomustang:
check Clifford Performance, Offenhauser intakes, even Egge Machine for parts for that old Stovebolt Six.  Back it up with a modern overdrive trans.

A Corvette IRS would be nice, but as for the front, check into a 1982 to 1993 Camaro/Trans Am front clip.  With WS-6 parts, you can match a Corvette for handling for cheaper, tho that old inline six is heavy.  Any room to push it back towards the firewall for better handling?  Move the battery to under the bed?

as for a solid rear axle, look into HotRodsToHell, they have a 68-72 truck rear arm assembly, the same style NASCAR uses on 1967 chevelle floorpans to make all their "stock" cars out of.  Your truck should have room for this coil spring and separate shock setup, and if its good enough for former moonshine runners...Smile

the nine inch rear is overkill for the six, you'll lose some HP getting the gears to turn.  A 8.2 or 8.5 10 bolt will do nice, maybe a LSD from an Astro Van AWD model, or just get an aftermarket one.  C-clip eliminators would be a great idea, there's a post here on their drawback--and who fixed it.

the 4200 is NOT an old stove bolt!its a dohc 4-valve per cylinder design!