Mr. Hunkins, Deployed to Iraq, and need help with my nova

Popular Hot Rodding
Item Posts    Sort Order

Mr. Hunkins, Deployed to Iraq, and need help with my nova

Rustamedic Rustamedic
New User | Posts: 4 | Joined: 10/07
Posted: 11/10/08
12:08 PM

Mr. Hunkins, I’m a soldier currently deployed to Iraq for my second tour as a combat medic. I have been reading PHR since I can remember, and have kept up on your Chevelle, it’s a great car. I am building a 1962 Chevy II, as an 11 .5 sec ¼ street/strip car. I plan to drive it as much as I can when I return. Right now I am buying parts left and right and having my dad install them while I am away. Needless to say he is cheap labor! I am hung up right now on replacing the entire turn signal assemble as it was all missing when I bought the car. I have looked everywhere I could on the internet for an example or step by step install but can’t find anything. If you or any other staff members have any ideas where I might find this, it would save my dad and I a lot of headaches. We have all the parts, just can’t figure out how to install them. Thanks in advance. Sgt Lee McClure, Camp Taji Iraq  

Johnny Hunkins Johnny Hunkins
Moderator | Posts: 272 | Joined: 07/06
Posted: 11/10/08
10:01 PM

Not having first-hand knowledge of that assembly, I cannot tell you where to start. I'm guessing you are talking about the part in the column, and not the lights themselves. If you've never worked on one of these columns it's a little intimidating. It takes some trial and error to figure it out, but I'd start by talking with some experts, like the folks at Flaming River and iditit.  

Rustamedic Rustamedic
Posted: 11/11/08
10:51 AM

Mr. Hunkins, thanks for the advice. Like I mentioned in my last blog, I really dig how the chevelles coming along. Can't wait to read the next write up on it. Our mail is a little slow, so right now I've only caught up to install of saganaw steering box. Gonna get back to the states, and hit up heartland park topeka with the nova. Thanks again for the reply and info sir.  

waynep712 waynep712
User | Posts: 51 | Joined: 11/07
Posted: 11/18/08
08:17 PM

seems i have a 62 chevy 2 manual in my van...

i have changed those turn signal switches before... but it has been 3 decades since the last one.. so things get a little fuzzy....

ok... i have gotten the manual...   seems the 62 chevy 2's used a remote mounted cable driven turn signal switch...

the actuating  ring under the wheel moves the cable core in and out.    

the switch is down on the side of the column... rectangular thing with a small cable hooked to one side...

i would also check or change the turn signal flasher...  verify the grounds to the bulb sockets.   verify that the contacts on the base of the bulbs are actually contacting the springs in the bottom of the socket...  

the flasher calls for a 224 or something like that... try a 552 ...  that will flash with more or less bulbs...

if you have more questions... post it or pm. me...  

Rustamedic Rustamedic
Posted: 11/21/08
04:06 PM

Thanks for the help, and any advice is always welcome. I'll be returning to the states soon and am going to begin building my first motor right away. Planning on a .30 over 350, trick flow 23 heads, flat top pistons and a nice hydr. flat tappet cam. Hopping to see 12's with that set up on a set of M/T street radials. I have been trying to decide what stall converter would be best for my set up. Mr. Hunkins, I know you had this problem with you Chevelle, just wondering if you have any advice. My rear end is a 4.10 posi. Thanks again everyone.  

10second.racer 10second.racer
New User | Posts: 30 | Joined: 11/08
Posted: 12/31/08
05:33 PM

With a set f 4:10 gears in that lite car you should'nt
need a very big stall and since your going to be driving it on the street keep it fairly small I would stay between 2500 and 3000 depending on how you want that car to spin them tires if you want to lay serious rubber go 3000 if you want it to grab and spin just a little go 2500 see where im going with this? this should give you an idea as to what you'll need.